Apparently not content with building Greenpoint, Brooklyn, Neziah Bliss
acquired land across Newtown Creek and formed the town of Blissville.
He also built the first version of what was to be known for many years
as the Blissville Bridge. Today we know it as the Greenpoint Avenue Bridge.
Blissville, now part of Long Island City, was on the now Queens side of
the Greenpoint Avenue bridge.
In 1838 the first public highway was opened in Green Point that connected
it with bridges across Newtown and Bushwick Creek's to the cities of Astoria
to the North, and Williamsburg the South. This made it possible for the
isolated little farming community to develop into a small town.