LIRR SERVICE to:

Back to Transportation



HISTORY TOPICS: TRANSPORTATION: LIRR

Industries Served by the Long Island Railroad

VOLUME 1:
LONG ISLAND RAILRALD SERVICE TO LONG ISLAND CITY'S VAN IDERSTINE CO.

By Nicholas Kalis

First in a series of glimpses into industries or warehouses that made for interesting freight operations on the Long Island. Information presented has included, where available, a brief history of the firm, how it was served by the LIRR, and what commodities were received or shipped from this facility.


Former Van Iderstine. Tall building is the mill where rendering and processing takes place. Vertical Tanks are storage tanks where finished products, fats, and oils are stored. Triplex Oil would be horizontal green tanks. (Spot 6) per Huneke 1998 Camera looking West Credit: Carl Fabrizi


Former Van Iderstine Spots 5a and 5b also known as North Side or new plant. Camera Looking geographically West. Shot taken from Review Avenue 1998 Credit: Carl Fabrizi


Tank Car VICX 1002, early 1963, Art Huneke shot the tank car in 1963 on Van Iderstine Spot s 5a and 5b [the building that appears in photos 4 and 8]. At that time Van I[derstine] had buildings on both sides and they were connected by an overhead conveyor belt which was either only partially covered or was in such bad shape that a sawdust-like substance continually fell and blew everywhere. It was sickening. Probably ground bones or dried fat or a combination. " Credit: Arthur Huneke Collection


Van Iderstine Spots 5a and 5b (beyond the vertical tanks) at right side of photograph (photo looking West). Spot 5c is on left side of photograph, past switch. Greenpoint Avenue Bridge in background. Vantage point is furthest East of all photos appearing in this article. Arthur Huneke, September 10, 1982, Color Slide, Credit: Arthur Huneke Collection


Note SS sign at left of photograph. Building on the right may be Stoll Metal (Spot 2) or Spot 3 not Van Iderstine. Overhead conveyor belt is gone. Greenpoint Avenue Bridge in background. Camera looking West .Arthur Huneke Color Slide, September 10, 1982. Credit: Art Huneke Colletion


LIRR Photographer, Van Iderstine (old plant/South Side?, camera looking East. March 16, 1929, Wooden structure in the right foreground is Bliss Tower. Bliss tower was built as number 3, renamed BX, and renamed BS. Credit: Art Huneke Collection


LIRR Photographer, July 30, 1936 slide, buildings of Standard Oil in the distance, to the left. Van Iderstine is west of Standard Oil on both sides. 5a and 5b would be to right of tracks and 5c, the old plant would be to left of tracks. Camera is looking West. Credit: Art Huneke Collection

VI South Side or old plant (Spot 5c) 37-31 Railroad Avenue (or is it Review Avenue?) was of ninteenth-century brick style and was on Newtown Creek. After a fire which required a helicopter rescue it was torn down according to J.J. Earl who retired in 1995. (click to enlarge)

Blueprints from Art Huneke Collection (click to enlarge)

Van Iderstine appears to the right. The 1981 book Darling-Delaware Centenary 1882-1982 refers to the new Van Iderstrine Plant and the old plant Old plant (Spot 5c) would be at bottom of blueprint
Blueprints from Art Huneke Collection (click to enlarge)


Google Search GAHS Website Search WWW

Copyright 1999-2007
Greater Astoria
Historical Society